Saturday, August 29, 2009

Olivia's special class

Olivia is now attending a special day class. She goes 4 days a week. It is pretty much like Preschool, but it is all kids that have special needs like she does. Right now there are 5 kids in her class, the teacher, and 2 assistants. So, she gets a lot of one-on-one which is great! What I learned at Back-to-School night that was interesting is in each of the classes they will put a "typical" kid to be a good influence to the other kids who are behind. Olivia's teacher said she can teach them a lot, but another kid can take it a lot further. This will be a good experience for her, and then we are hoping by next year she can go into mainstream preschool. I miss her a lot while she is gone, but with my extra free time maybe I can get some projects done.........

Here are a couple more pictures of her on her first day:

2 comments:

Christina Hamilton said...

That's awesome! What school is she going to? You may want to check out VIP Tots. It's no cost for special needs and they have an amazing program for both special needs and mainstream kids. They are on Acacia between Stanford and Meridian:-)

Dan and Melissa said...

Ya, I am familiar with that school. She didn't qualify for that through Inland Regional Center, she had home visits instead. She is going to Little Lake now, and hopefully can go to regular preschool next year :-)